- 75g dried Puy lentils, rinsed OR use 250g pouch of ready cooked Puy lentils
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 300g tomatoes, sliced
- 100g radishes, topped and tailed, sliced
- 20g fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 20g fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- ½ tsp runny honey
- Salt & pepper
- Cook the lentils in 3 x water or stock for 35-40 minutes, until soft but still with a little bite, drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl and let cool OR use a ready pouch of cooked Puy lentils if you are pushed for time
- Add the sliced onions, tomatoes, radishes and fresh herbs and gently combine
- Mix the dressing ingredients together thoroughly, season well, and pour over the salad
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle a few fresh herbs over the top to finish
This dish works brilliantly as a side dish at a summer BBQ and is great to take to work as it will keep you feeling satisfied.
Lentils originate from Asia and North Africa and do not require pre-soaking before cooking, unlike other pulses. They are a great vegetarian / vegan protein source and also provide complex carbohydrate and fibre. They are a rich source of folate and a good source of other B vitamins and minerals.
Puy lentils are grown in the French region Le Puy, they have a delicious nutty taste and hold their texture well after cooking. You could easily use green or brown lentils in this recipe but the texture may be a little softer.
Tomatoes are delicious at this time of the year, smell your tomatoes to check they are tasty (no tomatoey smell = no flavour) and keep them out of the fridge to maximise flavour too. Tomatoes are a fantastic source of antioxidants, including lycopene and are a key ingredient of the healthy Mediterranean diet. They also contain vitamin C, biotin, molybdenum, vitamin K, vitamin A, minerals and B vitamins.
Radishes provide a lovely crunch to the salad and are also a great source of fibre for your gut microbes. They are a natural diuretic, helping to keep the urinary system healthy and are also great for relieving congestion and preventing respiratory problems.