Booking an appointment with Jo Majithia - what to expect
The first step is to complete a detailed Nutritional Health Questionnaire
This provides information regarding your medical history, symptoms, lifestyle and current diet to enable a thorough assessment of your nutritional status. [link to questionnaire]
The initial consultation usually lasts one hour.
Having agreed on what you want to achieve and established a goal for your session, we will discuss your health concerns and diet and any questions will be addressed.
Explanations of possible underlying problems will be made, how they may be affecting your health and most importantly what you may be able to do about them.
A personalised Health Optimisation Plan will be agreed upon, which may include dietary & simple lifestyle changes, and specific supplements, if needed. These are made at a realistic level for you so that they are achievable.
You will then receive a written Health Optimisation Plan and practical support like menu planners, recipe ideas and information sheets, which will be sent on to you after the session
Assessment and Diagnostic Functional Tests/Laboratory Tests
Body composition analysis - (using Bio-Electrical Impedance Analysis) to measure and track your: weight, BMI, muscle mass, total body fat and visceral fat, Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), bone Mineral Mass and metabolic age.
Diagnostic Functional Testing may also be recommended, if appropriate and if within your budget. Test options that are available include, but are not limited to:
- Intestinal Yeast / Candida Testing (stool)
- Intestinal Parasites (stool)
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis (evaluates digestion; absorption; gut microbiota including bacterial, viral and parasitic pathogens, H pylori with virulence factors; colonic immunology; inflammation; intestinal permeability (stool - utilising latest DNA sequencing technology)
- SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) (breath test)
- Gut permeability (urine or stool)
- Helicobacter Pylori (stool)
- Coeliac disease (stool)
- Vitamin and mineral status (blood or blood spot available for some vitamins)
- Vitamin D (blood spot)
- Amino acids (urine)
- Organic acids (urine)
- Methylation Profile (blood)
- Female Hormone Cycle Mapping (urine)
- Complete Hormone Panel -adrenal and sex hormones and metabolites (urine)
- Menopause Profile (saliva)
- Advanced Adrenal Assessment (urine)
- Total Thyroid Screen (blood)
- Autoimmune profile (urine)
- Homocysteine Test (blood) or Homocysteine pathway (urine)
- Comprehensive Cardiovascular Assessment (blood)
- Osteoporosis Profile (urine and blood)
- DNA /Nutrigenomic testing (buccal swab) including methylation, detoxification, oestrogen balance, histamine intolerance, nervous system, nutrient core, athlete and sleep
I use specialist clinical laboratories for all of the above tests.
Tests are charged in addition to consultation fees and are only recommended if the findings would actively inform your nutritional protocol.
I provide a full explanation of your test results along with targeted recommendations based on these results. A test interpretation fee may be charged in addition to your consultation fee, depending on the complexity of the results (this will be discussed before ordering)
Most samples can be taken in the privacy of your own home and then be sent to the lab for analysis (with the exception of blood draws, which can usually be taken by your practice nurse or at the laboratory phlebotomy service).
Telephone or email support is provided throughout the programme.
Usually last ½ - ¾ hour. You may typically need 2 – 4 visits over 3 – 6 months in order that your programme be developed and revised as you progress. However they can continue as frequently or infrequently as you feel you need to reach your goal.